- 2 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 small apple, cored and grated
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheet with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Whisk together 2 cups of the flour and baking powder. Add in the grated apple, pumpkin, egg, and water and stir until all the dry ingredients are moistened. It will be very thick. If your mixture is still sticking, sprinkle a work surface with the remaining 1/3-cup of white whole wheat flour, and knead it into your dough until no longer sticky.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and use a 3.5-inch bone-shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely on a wire rack before sharing with your pup or storing in an airtight container.
Best part about baking biscuits at home is you can cut them into any shape you like. They can be themed or a generic bone-shaped.
If your dog can’t have grains, substitute an equal amount of almond flour, chickpea flour, or coconut flour for the white whole wheat flour. Sweet potato puree can also be substitute for the pumpkin. You can also use regular all-purpose flour, if your dog isn’t sensitive to it.
The original recipe can be found at The Redhead Baker.